We are not going to talk about yesterday. We are going to pretend that it never happened and move on. If you ask me, I will deny all association with it.
Moving forward, Monday’s picks:
- The White Sox over the Pirates: The Pirates have been hot, but have only faced nine lefty starters all season. They have handled them well, but Carlos Rodon is a different animal altogether. Francisco Liriano has been good of late.
- The Tigers over the Reds: Neither this year’s Anibal Sanchez or Jon Moscot excite me very much, but the Tigers are home and all things considered equal, should win.
- The Braves over the Red Sox: The Red Sox just got drubbed over the weekend. It was a bloodbath. I’m surprised the manager is still there. How can you pick them to win these days? Rick Porcello hasn’t been pitching well. Williams Perez seems to bend but not break too much.
- The Yankees over the Marlins: The Yankees lose the DH so Alex Rodriguez sits. But Masahiro Tanaka should overcome that deficiency. Tom Koehler is a decent pitcher though.
- The Mets over the Blue Jays: The Jays lose one of their big bats and again, the law of averages is weighting heavy here with this win streak. Noah Syndergaard has been disappointing. Mark Buehrle is Mark Buehrle. Take the good and the bad.
- The Nationals over the Rays: I am going with this pick thinking Bryce Harper can at least DH today. Someone needs to tell the Rays they aren’t this good. And Erasmo Ramirez has been the shock of the century thus far. Gio Gonzalez better have a good day or this pick is going down too.
- The Cubs over the Indians: I love the Cubs this year. I love what they are doing with their youth. I sure wish the Yankees would do that. Jake Arrieta gentille Arrieta has been great of late. Trevor Bauer is having a pretty good season for the Indians.
- The Rangers over the Dodgers: The Dodgers know Yovani Gallardo but he has a chance to be good today. Carlos Frias hasn’t run into an offense like the Rangers yet this year so it will be a test.
- The Astros over the Rockies: Any time Dallas Keuchel is on the mound, I like the Astros’ chances. Chad Bettis has has some spectacular games himself this season. If he is on, this becomes a bullpen game.
- The Royals over the Brewers: This is two road interleague series in a row for the Royals, which seems unfair. They need their DH. Even so, they did not fare well in St. Louis, so they might take it out on the Brewers. Kyle Lohse will be intent on not letting that happen. Edinson Volquez goes for the Royals.
- The Cardinals over the Twins: John Lackey is so hard to figure sometimes. I think tonight will be one of his good games. The Twins will go with Trevor May, who has been up and down. No DH for the Twins.
- The Angels over the Diamondbacks: Whenever I bash mouth Jered Weaver, he proves to me he can still win games with his swill. The Angels need to hit for this pick to work and Robbie Ray will try to keep that from happening.
- The Padres over the Athletics: Jessie Hahn goes for the A’s who lose the DH. Tyson Ross is usually good at home.
- The Mariners over the Giants: Taijuan Walker has had three good starts in a row, so perhaps he is settling down to be the pitcher we expected him to be. Tim Hudson goes for the Giants and pitches these days on knowledge more than stuff.
And the Pick of the Day:
- The Orioles over the Phillies: The Phillies get an extra hitter in the lineup. Is that a good thing? Wei-Yin Chen versus Aaron Harang. The hot Oriole offense should stay hot here.
Yesterday: 5-9, June: 97-91, Season: 475-444, Picks of the Day: 36-32