I had a much better day yesterday finishing at 9-6 with a correct Pick of the Day. As pretty good as it was, the day would have been far sweeter if the Yankees and Rangers hadn’t had bullpen letdowns and blown their games. But that’s the way it goes. The Blue Jays kept winning and the Tigers kept losing. What a weird season.
- The Braves over the Padres: The Braves have been surprisingly good and the Padres surprisingly bad. I imagine Bud Black has a pretty warm fanny right now as the Padres went all in with salary this season. Today won’t help Black’s cause as Julio Teheran is going to be better than Andrew Cashner.
- The Indians over the Mariners: This is set up nicely for an Indians win…one they need pretty badly at this point. Shaun Marcum isn’t great, but he’s been pretty good. The Indians are at home and only have to face J.A. Happ.
- The Rangers over the Athletics: This pick was correct for eight innings yesterday (frown). Chi Chi Gonzalez has been spectacular for the Rangers. Scott Kazmir has been up and down.
- The Orioles over the Red Sox: Adam Jones has been a game changer. And his cohorts have turned it on a bit. Chris Tillman has been better as of late. And I think the Orioles will jump on Wade Miley.
- The Rockies over the Marlins: The Marlins are now 8-14 under Dan Jennings as manager. Yeesh. David Phelps has not pitched that great lately and Chris Rusin has been terrific for the Rockies thus far.
- The Angels over the Rays: The one weak spot for the Rays in the last couple of weeks has been when Alex Colome pitches. He just hasn’t kept up with his rotation mates. Garrett Richards needs to bounce back from his loss to the Yankees and I think he will.
- The Giants over the Mets: The Mets have gone 8-13 over their last 21 games and are 3-6 in June. They are now only two games above .500 and have seemed to hit a wall. Jon Niese hasn’t been up to his standards and Tim Lincecum is quietly having a nice season.
- The Reds over the Cubs: Michael Lorenzen has been great for the Reds (if you overlook his walks) and Tsuyoshi Wada hasn’t given anything to the Cubs. In other words, it has been nada from Wada.
And the Pick of the Day:
- The Nationals over the Brewers: That comeback win for the Nats made a big difference yesterday. Tanner Roark has gotten his feet firmer planted on the starting end of things and the Nats should hit Matt Garza pretty well. This seems too obvious…uh oh.
Yesterday: 9-6, June: 70-65, Season: 448-418, Picks of the Day: 35-29