Saturday was a pretty good picking day as most, if not all of the aces picked up their wins. I guess I really need to pay attention to the Padres as they are putting it together right now. Other teams are scuffling like the Mets and the Reds. All these trends need to be followed when doing this day after day.
Can someone tell me why you would bring Vance Worley into a game with that game on the line?
- The Yankees over the Angels: C.J. Wilson has good days and bad days. If he has a good one, that will break this pick. But the Yankees are hot and the Angels are not and hence the pick.
- The Astros over the Blue Jays: The Blue Jays have just destroyed the Astros the last two days. Will it continue with Collin McHugh? I don’t think so. How R.A. Dickey fares will be a big factor too.
- The Indians over the Orioles: The O’s are really scuffling right now. When they pitch, they don’t hit. When they hit, they don’t pitch. Carlos Carrasco is consistently good and Bud Norris is not. Nick Swisher is hot for Cleveland.
- The Reds over the Padres: This pick has been wrong every day, William. So why are you making it? But…but…but…Johnny Cueto is pitching! Oh, okay then, carry on. Odrisamer Despaigne goes for the Padres.
- The Red Sox over the Athletics: Clay Buchholz has emerged from a long, dark day and into the light. Kendall Graveman should get knocked around a bit by the Red Sox offense.
- The Giants over the Phillies: Madison Bumgarner once again puts the Giants back on balance and makes those behind him better. Ryan Vogelsong is today’s guy and I don’t think the Giants will struggle to hit Sean O’Sullivan.
- The Tigers over the White Sox: Jeff Samardzija is so confusing. Is he good? If so, then why does he get banged around so badly on a semi-regular basis? I just can’t trust him. Not that trusting Alfredo Simon is any more comforting.
- The Brewers over the Twins: Mike Fiers is my pick here. The guy came to life in his last start and pitched the way he did last year. If he continues there, there is no way the Twins win. That is unless Mike Pelfrey is just as good and it becomes a bullpen battle.
- The Royals over the Rangers: The Rangers have made me look foolish in this series and the pitching match-up of Jeremy Guthrie versus Colby Lewis makes me cringe. The Royals are the better team though.
- The Nationals over the Cubs: I got this wrong yesterday…doubly wrong because I called the Cubs, the Phillies. Yeah, nice one, William! Jordan Zimmermann has been awesome lately, and is especially good after a team loss. Kyle Hendricks is a good pitcher for the Cubs too.
- The Marlins over the Rockies: Despite the loss, Jose Urena was pretty good in his last outing for the Marlins. So I pick him and his team because Kyle Kendrick at home in Coors gives me the willies.
- The Diamondbacks over the Mets: The Mets’ offense has gone to sleep. As such, Josh Collmenter has a chance against Jacob deGrom even though I like deGrom a lot.
- The Mariners over the Rays: Mike Montgomery was pretty impressive against the Yankees and he pitches against the team that gave his career new life, and, of course, taught him the change-up. Chris Archer loses a close one.
- The Cardinals over the Dodgers: Lance Lynn will shut down the Dodgers and will get a few runs against Zack Greinke.
And the Pick of the Day:
- The Pirates over the Braves: Despite the stupid managerial move yesterday, I’ll stick with the Pirates in this one because of Gerrit Cole. The pitcher is 8-2 after all. Alex Wood toils for the Braves.
Yesterday: 9-6, June: 44-38, Season: 422-391, Picks of the Day: 33-27 (+2)