The month of May ended with a slight whimper as the final day produced a boring 8-7 result. The AL East continues to be as mediocre as my picking, the Nationals got swept. A way-three-dimensional, forty-two year old pitcher won his eighth game. Josh Hamilton had a good thing happen to him. And the Twins continue to win. It’s a crazy game.
A new month is a fresh slate. Monday’s picks:
- The Nationals over the Blue Jays: It happens a lot that a good team getting swept usually means trouble for the next opponent. Since the Blue Jays are already struggling, that doesn’t bode well for them. Jordan Zimmermann is coming off of three straight good starts and R.A. Dickey is always an adventure.
- The Cubs over the Marlins: I really miss Jose Fernandez. I hope he comes back soon and at a semblance of his old self. I bet the Marlins do too when they have to shuttle guys like Jose Urena out there instead. Jason Hammel goes for the Cubs.
- The Red Sox over the Twins: Lost in all this losing by his team, Clay Buchholz has quietly gotten better and that should continue tonight. Mike Pelfrey was supposedly squeezed out of the rotation during Spring Training and now looks like one of their best pitchers.
- The Orioles over the Astros: The one thing you know here is that Brett Oberholtzer is going to give up a lot of hits. How many of those base runners score will make the difference in the outcome. Ubaldo Jimenez goes for the O’s.
- The Cardinals over the Brewers: The last time I picked against Jaime Garcia, he won. But I’m still not a believer. But I do believe in his team and they just keep winning. Mike Fiers goes for the Brewers who have to be dragging today.
- The Dodgers over the Rockies: I hate when Clayton Kershaw has to pitch in Coors Field. Anything can happen there. But then again, Kyle Kendrick isn’t having any fun there either.
- The Diamondbacks over the Braves: The Braves had a whooshing comeback yesterday against the Giants, which was impressive. I’m going with the D-backs though because I like Archie Bradley a lot. Alex Wood is decent though.
- The Angels over the Rays: The Rays are playing well and Alex Colome has been good for the five innings he can pitch. The answer for me is Garrett Richards who is as overpowering as a pitcher can be.
- The Mets over the Padres: Jacob deGrom has been fairly consistent if you throw out his start against the Yankees. He’ll also benefit from a big ballpark. Andrew Cashner finally won a game and can be overpowering. So we’ll see.
- The Mariners over the Yankees: A very interesting game as Michael Pineda returns to his original home in Seattle. Too bad he has to go up against Felix Hernandez, who has been unbeatable. The Yankees can’t seem to win on the road. Edge: King Felix.
And the Pick of the Day:
- The Pirates over the Giants: The Giants have lost two in a row. Whut!? Ryan Vogelsong is 4-2 despite (or in spite) of me picking against him every time. He just seems like a rally waiting to happen. On the other hand, good things happen for the Pirates when Gerrit Cole pitches.
Yesterday: 8-7, May final: 211-188, Season: 378-353, Picks of the Day: (29-25)