Yesterday was a second straight 9-6 day for this old game picker. That’s a decent record and I should be grateful to be above .500. But a ten-correct day is what I consider a good day. Plus, the Dodgers were the pick of the day and lost, so that kind of stinks. The Giants just don’t lose. The Astros finally did. The Red Sox lost again. The Yankees swept the Royals after being swept by the Rangers. Go figure. Baseball.
Thursday’s picks (short schedule):
- The White Sox over the Orioles: Tyler Wilson is getting his first start for the Orioles in this first game of a double-header. That option isn’t appealing. But the Chris Sale option? That is always appealing.
- The Rangers over the Red Sox: This is a REAL tough one. Nick Martinez has been terrific for the Rangers after becoming the adopted son of Greg Maddux. But the Red Sox have thrown caution to the wind (and why not!) and have brought up Eduardo Rodriguez to make his first MLB start. This kid is a great prospect with good control.
- The Angels over the Tigers: I don’t like the Tigers here because they have Buck Farmer pitching. He certainly hasn’t looked ready for prime time. C.J. Wilson hasn’t been pitching well either. So we’ll see what happens.
- The Yankees over the Athletics: I have been doing well picking against the A’s when they face a lefty starter. And then the Yankees have four lefty relievers. Not good for the A’s. Kendall Graveman vs. CC Sabathia.
- The Mariners over the Indians: Corey Kluber and James Paxton will throw zeroes all night and then Nelson Cruz will hit a homer. Doesn’t that happen every night?
- The Pirates over the Padres: My bias against A.J. Burnett has burned me all season. Okay, A.J., you win. Now don’t throw a clunker to jerk me around, okay? Ian Kennedy goes for the Padres.
- The Giants over the Braves: I am fighting with myself on this one. Shelby Miller has pitched so well for the Braves and he has stood me so well in my picks that it’s killing me to pick against him. But Charlton Chris Heston has been pitching well for the Giants, who just never seem to lose.
And the Pick of the Day:
- The Orioles over the White Sox: Thus a split. The White Sox are starting Chris Beck who will be making his MLB debut. Mike Wright has done a great job for the Orioles since getting called up.
Yesterday: 9-6, May: 185-162, Season: 352-327, Picks of the Day: 28-22