I did not have a bad day yesterday. The Cubs over the Nats was a brilliant pick. There were three games that went into extras and two went for me, one against. That matched my output for the day. I did not expect the Red Sox to lose again or the Astros to win again. But both did. Overall, not a bad day.
- The Indians over the Rangers: This pick was wrong yesterday showing that I just don’t get the Indians. Today, Carlos Carrasco is pitching and he is very good. Will that matter? What has gotten into Colby Lewis this year? Is he really this good?
- The Reds over the Rockies: Where are the stars for the Rockies? Why are they OPSing in the 600s? So weird. Mike Leake strikes me better than Kyle Kendrick does.
- The Pirates over the Marlins: Brad Hand is starting for the Marlins. He has appeared in relief a dozen and a half times. I never know what to do with such things. My mind is cleared up some by seeing Gerrit Cole starting for the other side.
- The Blue Jays over the White Sox: This one sounds like a wreck in the making. Marco Estrada versus Jeff Samardzija. The latter has the bigger talent, for sure. But the Blue Jays can hit! I don’t know.
- The Yankees over the Royals: Big Chris Young goes for the Royals. Will he again bamboozle the Yankees like the last time? Will the Yankees adjust? Can Michael Pineda bounce back from a really ugly start? We’ll find out together.
- The Twins over the Red Sox: Phil Hughes used to get battered by the Red Sox when he was a Yankee. But pitching at home in Minnesota should help today. Rick Porcello is up and down and hard to count on. Is David Ortiz big poopied out?
- The Mets over the Phillies: I haven’t picked a visiting team yet. Oh my. I have to go with Noah Syndergaard over Sean O’Sullivan though, right?
- The Mariners over the Rays: Felix Hernandez has never won a game at Tropicana Field. I think that changes today even though he has a tough opponent in Chris Archer.
- The Brewers over the Giants: The Brewers have cooled off a bit and the Giants keep winning. I think that will hit a bump tonight as Ryan Vogelsong should be more to the Brewers’ liking than Bumgarner was. A lot will depend on how Mike Fiers pitches.
- The Tigers over the Athletics: There is a lot to think about in this game. Kyle Ryan has been called up to start for the Tigers. He hasn’t been faring well in the minors thus far this season and he will not strike out guys. He has decent control though and most importantly, he is a lefty. The A’s do not hit lefties at all. That makes me go with him over Scott Kazmir. The one caveat is that Ryan will not go deep in the game and the Tigers’ bullpen is a frightening place.
- The Astros over the Orioles: Picking against the Astros has seemed like a futile thing to do. Collin McHugh is one of my favorite young pitchers. If Ubaldo Jimenez has a good outing, things could change, but I’ll go with the Astros.
- The Nationals over the Cubs: The Cubs slowed down the Nats yesterday and Jon Lester goes today, which is the good news. The bad news is that Max Scherzer goes for the Nationals. Did you see where Bryant’s homer went yesterday!? Wow.
- The Cardinals over the Diamondbacks: Lance Lynn should come up big in this one and I think he will. Josh Collmenter gives the Cards a different look, but he will bend a little at least.
- The Angels over the Padres: This pick didn’t go well yesterday and neither team hit at all until the Padres broke out for four runs in extras. It might be low scoring today too as Garrett Richards faces Andrew Cashner.
And the Pick of the Day:
- The Dodgers over the Braves: Zack Greinke should do what he does, which is win as a Dodger and Alex Wood should allow a couple of runs at least to give the Dodgers the edge in a close game.
Yesterday: 9-6, May: 179-156, Season: 343-321, Picks of the Day: 28-21