The picks struggled to finish a game above .500 yesterday, but I’m okay with that. They were way down after the Yankees got trounced and I think it was like 2-6 at that point. Bartolo Colon had his clunker. I should have gone with the Orioles. But the day finished with a flourish of correct picks to go 6-1 for the late games to save the day. I had a big day in my fantasy league too.
- The Marlins over the Braves: Yeah, I know. This pick did not work out yesterday. But I like it today despite Mat Latos starting. Alex Wood goes for the Braves.
- The Twins over the Rays: Trevor May has surprised me. Heck, the Twins period have surprised me. I’m going with them again today as Alex Colome is coming off a bad start against the Yankees.
- The Tigers over the Cardinals: I got this one right yesterday and I think the Tigers will score another ten runs (for the third straight day) against Tyler Lyons and company. Besides, David Price is pitching today.
- The Cubs over the Pirates: I hate to pick against Gerrit Cole right now. But the Cubs have been hot and Jon Lester is coming on to be what they expected.
- The Diamondbacks over the Phillies: The Phillies are winning too many games lately. That has to end. Jerome Williams is as good a pick at making that happen as anyone. And Archie Bradley looks really good at times.
- The Orioles over the Angels: Ubaldo Jimenez has resurrected himself and I like his chances at home. The Angels go with Matt Shoemaker who hasn’t gelled into last year’s form yet.
- The Brewers over the Mets: The Brewers have gotten hot since the managerial change (maybe sometimes it works) and the Mets have skidded a bit. Jacob deGrom has been spotty and (heaven help me) I’m going with Matt Garza.
- The Yankees over the Royals: This is probably the Yanks’ best chance this series with Danny Duffy pitching. CC Sabathia will need a good BABIP day though.
- The Reds over the Giants: Assuming there will be no more fires today except in the Reds’ bats against Ryan Vogelsong, the Reds should win this one behind Mike Leake.
- The Astros over the Blue Jays: The key question in today’s match-up is which pitcher, Marco Estrada or Scott Feldman will give up more homers than the other. I’m thinking Feldman will give up less.
- The Indians over the Rangers: If Danny Salazar pitches like he is capable, the Indians should win. If not, woo boy, this pick is going to be embarrassing. Colby Lewis goes for the Rangers.
- The Nationals over the Padres: The Nats are mashing right now and Max Scherzer is pitching. I suppose Andrew Cashner could put his impressive stuff together for a start, but I’m not going to pick that way.
- The Mariners over the Red Sox: Will Felix Hernandez continue is really impressive pitching? Probably. Can Rick Porcello keep up with him and make it a bullpen game? Maybe. We’ll see.
- The Dodgers over the Rockies: Zack Greinke has not lost this season and he makes a great one-two punch with Kershaw. Jorge De La Rosa has not pitched well for the Rockies.
And the Pick of the Day:
- The White Sox over the Athletics: It’s hard to believe that the A’s are ten games under .500 right now. Wow. One of their big problems as a team is the inability to hit left-handed pitching. They have a .544 OPS against lefties this season. John Danks is no great shakes. But he is a lefty. Jesse Chavez goes for the A’s.
Yesterday: 8-7, May: 100-80, Season: 264-245, Picks of the Day: 21-17