It is a gorgeous May day here and I overslept. Oops. My picks were kind of sleepy too yesterday. It was a struggle up and down all day and I finally finished one game above the even mark, Hardly impressive. The day is calling me, so let’s dive right into Saturday.
- The Yankees over the Red Sox: Everyone in Red Sox Nation is hating on Wade Miley these days. That’s not a good thing to face at home for the pitcher. Nathan Eovaldi, despite my high expectations, hasn’t exactly been great either. I’ll either be way right on this one or laughably wrong.
- The Twins over the White Sox: I’ll be honest. I have no idea here. Who would you choose of either Hector Noesi or Ricky Nolasco. I don’t want to pick either. I’ll go with the Twins at home as they are playing better right now.
- The Cardinals over the Pirates: John Lackey has pitched really well so far. Francisco Liriano has had his moments against the Cardinals. It will be another close game decided late. The Cards keep winning, but the fans don’t have it easy most nights.
- The Angels over the Giants: I knew the Giants would win last night and they did. I’m not so sure about tonight with Tim Hudson showing his age. Hector Santiago is hit or miss. The bottom line is that I think the Angels will hit Hudson.
- The Marlins over the Phillies: Cole Hamels is pitching well of late. But so is Dan Haren. The Marlins are on a roll and the offense is clicking. The Phillies are piling through a long season. Marlins.
- The Indians over the Blue Jays: The Indians surprised me last night. That’s why predicting baseball is like holding onto a fish. Corey Kluber hasn’t won a game. He sure is due. Aaron Sanchez is getting better, but is still a starter in progress.
- The Rays over the Orioles: The weird series continues with the Rays’ best pitcher, Chris Archer, on the mound. Miguel Rodriguez is decent and will keep his team in the game. But Archer is throwing some serious baseball.
- The Reds over the Braves: I try to always steer clear of any game that Eric Stults is pitching. And, for some reason, Jason Marquis wins his share of games after all these years. The Braves are playing pretty well for a team that was supposed to be terrible though.
- The Tigers over the Royals: There seems to be a lot of concern about David Price in recent days. But I think he’ll be just fine today and will shut down a very hot Royals’ offense. Edinson Volquez has been pretty good though and could keep it close.
- The Astros over the Mariners: I love me some Collin McHugh and as long as his bullpen can help him out, I like his chances today. Nelson Cruz has been amazing though and sooner or later Taijuan Walker is going to figure it out and go nuts. Tough call…
- The Mets over the Nationals: The Mets are playing with a whole bunch of swagger right now and Jon Niese has been very good. Gio Gonzalez really needs to figure it out, but I don’t think it will be today.
- The Rangers over the Athletics: Nick Martinez has given up one earned run this year. One. I keep waiting for the dam to burst. But it hasn’t thus far. He is old school, pitch-to-contact kind of guy and he’s getting it done. I’m still waiting for the other shoe to drop though. Drew Pomeranz goes for the A’s.
- The Padres over the Rockies: I am rooting so hard for Brandon Morrow. I’ve just latched onto the guy as a feel-good story. So this pick is biased to say the least. Jorge De La Rosa was a good pitcher last year but hasn’t gotten it going thus far this year..
- The Diamondbacks over the Dodgers: This pick is probably stupid. I just don’t think Scott Baker is the answer for the Dodgers. On the other hand, Jeremy Hellickson hasn’t been anything to write home about either. His WHIP so far is 1.75. Ugh. It’s an Ugh game.
And the Pick of the Day:
- The Cubs over the Brewers: Jake Arrieta is a pretty well-kept secret. The guy is really good. Mike Fiers was really good last year, but has come up empty this season. It doesn’t help that the Brewers can’t hit.
Yesterday: 8-7, May: 8-7, Season: 172-172, Picks of the Day: 14-12