I am off to such a brutally bad start. Man, I couldn’t pick Al Capone out of a lineup of women at this point. At least I did finally get a Pick of the Day correctly. But other than that, I was terrible. Again.
At least everyone is playing new teams today. Perhaps that will help. I need to believe in something! Heh. Without further ago…
…here are today’s picks:
- The Blue Jays over the Orioles: Mark Buehrle usually starts out his season pretty well and should be sage enough to keep the ball away from the O’s offense. I do have the feeling that the Jays’ offense will nail Bud Norris. The Jays are looking mighty impressive.
- The Rangers over the Astros: These two teams will be battling each other all season for the bottom spot in the AL West. That’s the way I see it anyway. I like Derek Holland‘s chances here if he is healthy. Collin McHugh is pretty good himself, however.
- The Rockies over the Cubs: The Rockies are looking good thus far and it is nice to see their stars healthy. The Cubs’ offense might get a boost being in Denver. Tyler Matzek goes for the Rockies and Travis Wood goes for the Cubs.
- The Indians over the Tigers: We’ll see how it goes, but the Alfredo Simon signing by the Tigers seemed misguided. However, Zach McAllister will have to have a good game against the Tigers’ offense. Alex Avila and Jose Iglesias have both started off really well.
- The Twins over the White Sox: I believe Tommy Milone was a very good pickup by the Twins. But the Twins need some answers on offense. I am a bit stunned that Hector Noesi made the opening rotation for the White Sox.
- The Red Sox over the Yankees: Wade Miley is going to be a good starter for the Red Sox. Nate Eovaldi will be good for the Yankees too, but the Red Sox offense is too much better than the Yankees’ right now and this will be their first game with the DH.
- The Reds over the Cardinals: The Reds are off to a great start and their offense looks healthy and happy. Jason Marquis just goes on forever. John Lackey will get beat and will look all surly about it. Heh.
- The Marlins over the Bay Rays: One of these teams has to get off of the deck this weekend in the battle for Florida. I think it will be the Marlins. Dan Haren goes for the Fish and Steve Geltz, who has a big arm and very little experience, goes for the Rays.
- The Mets over the Braves: Jon Niese has always been better than most people think. If he is healthy, he is fine. Eric Stultz had a bad year last year and has to be very fine to win with his stuff. Both lineups are hampered a bit by lefties, but the combo of David Wright and Michael Cuddyer will shine.
- The Brewers over the Pirates: I am very anxious about the Brewers’ offense at this point. But I really like Mike Fiers a lot more than I like Jeff Locke.
- The Dodgers over the Diamondbacks: It is a battle of Andersons today as Brett Anderson gets his first start for the Dodgers and faces Chase Anderson of the Diamondbacks. I like Chase better than Brett, but am double-reversing myself on this pick.
- The Angels over the Royals: This is a really tough one. Hector Santiago is a fly ball guy to the extreme (o.44 last year!). Jason Vargas has to be well-located to do well. I like the Angels at home and the Royals will lose a game at some point this season.
- The Mariners over the Athletics: This is a really good match-up pitting Drew Pomeranz against Taijuan Walker. The A’s have really straightened out Pomeranz after years of frustration and Walker has been lights out. It could go either way. I like where the M’s bullpen is right now compared to the A’s.
- The Padres over the Giants: I am really rooting for Brandon Morrow because I am a sucker for comeback stories. Tim Lincecum is a mystery. The Giants haven’t looked as dead as people where predicting. The Padres haven’t looked as offensive-minded as advertised. Interesting game.
And the Pick of the Day:
- The Nationals over the Phillies. The Phillies are a bad team and facing a lefty is their worst case scenario. Gio Gonzalez had sort of an off year last year and I’m expecting him to bounce back. Jerome Williams usually has about three good starts a year.
Yesterday: 3-6, Season: 19-27, Picks of the Day: 1-3