Derek Jeter hit a home run. That being the case, everything else that happened was icing on the cake. And it was good icing as the picks went 7-3. I didn’t have to worry about Jered Weaver as the Angels won with most of their stars sitting down. I had to laugh though when I finally broke down and picked Kyle Kendrick and he got his butt kicked. Heh.
I was quite surprised when both extra-inning games went my way. That hardly ever happens. The Cardinals won despite the team’s entire fan base getting mad at Mike Matheny. And the Indians gutted it out to win their game after blowing the lead late in the game.
- The Dodgers over the Cubs: Clayton Kershaw is going to win his 20th game. The Dodgers will find a way to score enough runs off of Edwin Jackson and more accolades will follow for the Dodgers’ lefty.
- The Orioles over the Red Sox: The Red Sox get their DH back, which should make things a bit easier. But otherwise, things are really sad for the Red Sox these days. The O’s are on the other end of the emotional spectrum and Kevin Gausman has been much better than Allen Webster.
- The Pirates over the Brewers: The Brewers are officially sunk after last night’s loss in extras to the Cards. Well, maybe not officially, but they might as well be. Yovani Gallardo hasn’t had a great season and that’s part of the problem. I’ll go with Jeff Locke instead.
- The Yankees over the Blue Jays: The Yankees have one more chance this season to beat up on Mark Buehrle, a guy who just loves to pitch in Yankee Stadium. Not. Hiroki Kuroda needs to have a good night against the tough Blue Jays’ lineup though.
- The White Sox over the Rays: Jose Quintana has had a brilliant season and is only 8-10. He did win his last start, however with 14Ks. That was impressive. Jeremy Hellickson goes for the Rays.
- The Nationals over the Marlins: I have to go with Doug Fister even if he only goes five or six innings. Tom Koehler is tough at home though.
- The Mets over the Braves: The Braves stopped hitting. The Braves stopped winning. The Braves are a sad, sad team this month. Facing Zack Wheeler will not improve things and Julio Teheran won’t get any support.
- The Rockies over the Diamondbacks: This is a series that is too close to call. I got it wrong yesterday, but that is to be expected when you can’t figure out what to do. Picking between Jordan Lyles and Chase Anderson is impossible too.
- The Twins over the Indians: The Indians are not hitting. Phil Hughes has had a very good season. Trevor Bauer is unpredictable and 1+1+1 equals a Twins win.
- The Tigers over the Royals: I wish it weren’t so, but the Tigers always come through in times like this and the Royals usually do not. Justin Verlander sounds like a better pick than Jason Vargas anyway.
- The Cardinals over the Reds: I heard that John Lackey was upset that he had a turn skipped over. Well, then, pitch better, Big Fella. He is a good guy I am told, but boy, what a hot head. Meanwhile, David Holmberg is a lefty that might give the Cards some trouble.
- The Athletics over the Phillies: The A’s keep losing, but not when Jon Lester pitches. Lester should get some consideration on the CYA ballot. David Buchanan will try to match Lester and might even be capable of doing so.
- The Angels over the Rangers: Some of the regulars should be back in the lineup. Hector Santiago is better than his record and, despite his win his last time out and the movement of his pitches, Lisalverto Bonilla just doesn’t have enough command for my tastes.
- The Padres over the Giants: Tim Hudson looks old and tired and is dealing with minor injuries. He will not have a winning record for the first time in his illustrious career. Odrisamer Despaigne is hard to predict though.
And the Game of the Day:
- The Mariners over the Astros: Taijuan Walker has been brought back cautiously but he has pitched well when given the opportunity. He should beat the Astros and Brad Peacock. The M’s are still in a good spot for the wild card and only one game back.
Yesterday: 7-3, Sept.: 144-102, Games of the Day: 98-63 (+6), Season: 1274-1036