Holy cow am I on a losing streak! Wednesday was the fourth straight negative day and this one was really negative. At one point, I was 0-6 and then 1-8. How can you be that wrong that often? What the heck happened in Philadelphia to the Nationals? The Yankees….the Yankees got nine straight hits off of David Price. Whuh!? The Brewers’ bullpen blows a lead and then loses in extras. Liam Hendriks only gives up four base runners in seven innings!? Adam Wainwright lost again!? Man. What a tough day.
This gig isn’t fun when you have days (and a week) like this.
- The Cubs over the Reds: Dylan Axelrod had a good first outing after getting recalled by the Reds. That makes this pick more challenging. Jake Arrieta gentille arrieta is a better pick if he can get some offense behind him.
- The Yankees over the Tigers: This pick all depends on how well Hiroki Kuroda pitches. The Yankees’ bullpen should be in good shape for this one so if the team from the Bronx can do some damage on Kyle Lobstein, they should win.
- The Giants over the Rockies: Yusmeiro Petit has not allowed a hit or a walk in his last 12.1 innings of work covering five relief outings. Can that translate to a start? Time will tell. Jordan Lyles has pitched decently for the struggling Rockies.
- The Orioles over the Rays: The Rays are better now that they have Wil Myers back. That deepens their lineup. I think, though, that the Orioles will hit Jeremy Hellickson more than the Rays will hit Bud Norris.
- The Indians over the White Sox: Adam Eaton changes how the White Sox look. That said, Carlos Carrasco has filled in very nicely for the Indians in the rotation and should give them a chance to win over John Danks.
- The Royals over the Twins: Tommy Milone has gotten his shoes shined in his last three outings. I mean, he hasn’t been able to get anyone out. I will take Jeremy Guthrie instead, though with reservations.
- The Astros over the Rangers: Nick Tepesch had been doing much better until he ran into the Royals. So now I’m not sure about him. Collin McHugh is a strikeout machine that doesn’t go deep enough often enough in games. The Astros’ bullpen is messy if that happens today.
- The Angels over the Athletics: Sonny Gray was as much of a lock as there was earlier in the season. Now he is a big question mark. Has he hit a wall? Is his arm tired? Have batters found something on him? In order for this pick to work, C.J. Wilson has to have a good day.
And the Game of the Day:
- That Braves over the Mets: Mike Minor has been a different pitcher in his last two outings and should be a lot more challenging for the Mets than the last time they saw him on July 1. Jon Niese is a good pitcher, so this game will be close.
Yesterday: 5-10, August: 201-166, Games of the Day: 81-58 (+2), Season: 1095-915