The good news was that I finally had a Game of the Day pick go my way. The bad news was that a lot of the rest of the picks messed up. The biggest thing that hurt me yesterday was the three extra-inning games. All three ended up on the opposite side of what I predicted. Now that is lousy luck right there.
Tuesday returns to a full slate of games and here are the picks:
- The Dodgers over the Nationals: I do not usually like to pick a pitcher coming off the disabled list. But Clayton Kershaw is no ordinary pitcher. And it adds to my thinking that Blake Treinen is making his first MLB start for the Nats.
- The Indians over the Twins: Sam Deduno can be pretty good at times and the Twins are playing better than the Indians. But I’m going with Josh Tomlin being able to go deeper in the game than Deduno.
- The Giants over the Pirates: The Pirates are finally starting to hit and their pitching falls apart. Both teams will have tired bullpens. Therefore, I am going with Tim Hudson over Charlie Morton.
- The Phillies over the Blue Jays: Cole Hamels has gone 6-18 since I predicted he would win the Cy Yong Award before the 2013 season. Woof. And Drew Hutchison has very good stuff. But this is one of those trap picks. I can feel it.
- The Tigers over the Astros: It does not bother me to pick a guy, Robbie Ray, making his MLB debut tonight because the Tigers are on fire and the Astros are cold as ice. Brett Oberholtzer can’t seem to buy a win or a run, or anything from his team. Rays’ minor league K/9 rate is down, but the lefty has suddenly found great control.
- The Bay Rays over the Orioles: I like Chris Tillman a lot and he can be a shut down guy at times. But I’m going with Chris Archer who has been hard to beat at home. On the road is another story, but at home, he’s been very good.
- The Red Sox over the Reds: There is enough red in this game to make Senator McCarthy blanch. Felix Doubront is fighting for his rotation spot at Fenway, which is the good news. Homer Bailey is hit or miss…literally.
- The Marlins over the Mets: You cannot pick against the Marlins at home right now, can you? I know it has to end some time. How long has this home stand been? It seems like they have been home for a month. Henderson Alvarez over Bartolo Colon.
- The Cardinals over the Braves: Gosh, the Braves have gone cold. Having Gavin Floyd back to start this game does not fill me with confidence for them. But Tyler Lyons doesn’t do much for me either.
- The Cubs over the White Sox: This pick did not do much for me yesterday. And I have picked twice in a row against Edwin Jackson and was wrong both times. And the White Sox are starting Hector Noesi, who has been punted by two teams already this season.
- The Rockies over the Rangers: The Rangers are suddenly kind of a mess. And they are not having fun at Coors Field. That should continue today. Robbie Ross (it must be Robbie Day) will not get it done but Juan Nicasio will.
- The Angels over the Yankees: The Yankees are in a really bad stretch. Nothing they seem to do is working. Hiroki Kuroda hasn’t been very good. C.J. Wilson handled the Yankees easily the last time he faced them.
- The Athletics over the Mariners: Jesse Chavez needs to bounce back from his last start and being at home should help that happen. Roenis Elias looked great against the Yankees, but every pitcher has looked great against the Yankees.
- The Padres over the Royals: Being a fan of the Royals has to be the most frustrating thing ever. The way they finished the season last year and then stumbling and bumbling this year? Sheesh. Robbie Erlin (I told you it was Robbie Day) over Jeremy Guthrie.
And the Game of the Day
- The Brewers over the Diamondbacks: The Brewers just keep rolling along and the Diamondbacks keep rolling under. Marco Estrada has pitched well. Josh Collmenter would not be a starter I would ever pick to win a game.
Yesterday: 6-7, May: 37-32, Games of the Day: 15-17, Season: 270-206