This has been tough lately. I have really only had one good day in the last six and yesterday was not it. With the postponement of the Tigers – Twins game, I broke even at .500 and once again, the Game of the Day feature was wrong. To repeat, the Game of the Day feature is the one game where the odds seem to be the best that the pick will be correct. Historically, the feature is correct 70% of the time. Right now it stands at two games below .500. Man.
Today is a real slow day. There are only seven games on the schedule. Taking a quick look at them, none of them seem very easy. The picks:
- The Cubs over the Reds: This is a pick for Jeff Samardzija, because he deserves it. The Cubs’ pitcher has started five games thus far and has a 1.54 ERA with a WHIP of 1.10. And he is 0-2. Come on, Cubs. Give the guy some runs! Alfredo Simon has been terrific thus far. But he might have a lot of off-field distractions on his mind today.
- The Rangers over the Athletics: I do not like picking against Sonny Gray. He is my guy. But when he goes up against Yu Darvish in the latter pitcher’s house, I have to pick against him.
- The White Sox over the Rays: Jake Odorizzi has had two sub-par starts in a row and the White Sox are very hot with Abreu leading the charge. That said, I don’t have a lot of confidence in Andre Rienzo either.
- The Cardinals over the Brewers: The Cardinals are going to start hitting one of these days and somebody is going to pay. If that happens, the best bet is for it to be home. But even if this is a close, low-scoring game, I have Michael Wacha over Yovani Gallardo.
- The Rockies over the Diamondbacks: I don’t like either pick to be honest with you. Wade Miley does not exactly throw a lot of zeroes up there and the Rockies can hit. At the same time, Franklin Morales has had two good starts in a row, but you never quite believe in him.
- The Angels over the Indians: The Angels finished their game with the Yankees around 11:30 ET last night and then had to fly all the way to California. Ugh. They had a decent road trip though against some tough teams and I like Tyler Skaggs (who should be a country singer). Justin Masterson goes for the Indians.
And the Game of the Day
- The Giants over the Padres: Madison Bumgarner at home is a pick I like to make. Tyson Ross hasn’t been bad for the Padres, but he is not as good as Bumgarner. Plus, the Giants always seem to find a way.
Yesterday: 7-7, Games of the Day: 11-13, Season: 212-165