Happy Easter to everyone who observes the day.
Yesterday was a better day than the previous two, that’s for sure. It still wasn’t great, but it was better. Picking the Yankees was a joke. I mean a real haha kind of joke. But again, at least it was a positive day instead of a negative.
Here are Sunday’s picks:
- The Blue Jays over the Indians: Carlos Carrasco is probably not as he has pitched so far. But even at his best, he isn’t great either. Brandon Morrow is confusing. But he seems the better pick here. The Indians are confusing as a team so far too.
- The Tigers over the Angels: This pick depends totally on how good or not Rick Porcello is today. Hector Santiago is a pretty good pitcher for the Angels and his left-handed offerings will affect some on the Tigers. But I have to go with the Tigers at home.
- The Mets over the Braves: Zack Wheeler and David Hale are both young pitchers. But Wheeler has the superior stuff. But will he be in the strike zone? Ah, one never knows. If he is not, this pick blows up.
- The Marlins over the Mariners: Something is going on down in Miami. That team seems pretty alive this year. I feel stupid picking Kevin Slowey to win, but then again, it feels stupider to pick Brandon Maurer. So there you go.
- The Pirates over the Brewers: The Pirates sure blew that game yesterday and that makes me worry about this pick. But the natural tendency is to question yourself over a bad pick and second guess it. I am trying to avoid that by being more swayed by the match-ups. I like Gerrit Cole more than Marco Estrada especially Estrada on the road.
- The Nationals over the Cardinals: I refuse to believe Stephen Strasburg is not the big old stud that we keep thinking he is. He has not looked like one so far and the biggest concern is that his off-speed stuff looks really flat. Shelby Miller gave hope to Cards’ fans his last time out, which is scary for this pick. And of course, we’ll have to see what happens from the stupid Williams decision from yesterday.
- The Rays over the Yankees: I am not ever again going to pick the Yankees when they are at Tropicana Field. That place has been such death to them over the years. And I don’t care if they are facing Cesar Ramos because they are countering with Vidal Nuno. Oh boy.
- The Royals over the Twins: Good old frustrating and completely undependable Phil Hughes. Picking him would be stupid. On the other hand, Yordano Ventura is always an event when he pitches.
- The Reds over the Cubs: This pick did not work out yesterday and is a bit dicey today too. Homer Bailey should win every game with his stuff. But when he is off, homers happen frequently. Carlos Villanueva was shelled his last time out. So who knows.
- The Rangers over the White Sox: I like Robbie Ross, Jr. I don’t like Erik Johnson so much. All other things being considered, this pick seems easy.
- The Athletics over the Astros: Jesse Chavez has been pitching really well. So I have to stick with him for now. Brad Peacock will always seem like a fringe pitcher to me.
- The Dodgers over the Diamondbacks: Josh Beckett is an enigma. I don’t know if he will ever be consistently good again. But he is far and away a better option than Josh Collmenter. Collmenter is better in the bullpen. I just noticed that this is a battle of Josh.
- The Rockies over the Phillies: Roberto Hernandez in Coors really scares the heck out of me. Juan Nicasio is a much better pick here.
- The Giants over the Padres: It is amazing how fast the Giants can go flat on offense. I like Tim Lincecum in that big ballpark in San Diego. Robbie Erlin has been pretty good though. If the Giants don’t hit, they don’t win.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Red Sox over the Orioles: Ubaldo Jimenez has been terrible thus far and faces a patient and potent Red Sox attack. Jake Peavy is the better option here, especially at Fenway Park.
Yesterday: 9-6, Games of the Day: 8-8, Season: 150-111