Yesterday wasn’t a bad day but the Game of the Day feature is struggling so far this season. Since that feature endeavors to pick the one game that seems like a lock, that’s pretty bad. I should have used either of the Yankee games it seems. And gosh, do the Diamondbacks stink or what? And my guy, Jose Fernandez, had a 3-0 lead and was cruising along at home. What happened!?
There are twelve games on the schedule including a double-header in Minnesota since winter still held sway there yesterday. Thursday’s picks:
- The Braves over the Phillies: Alex Wood has been pitching well and A.J. Burnett is about as reliable this year as spring temperatures have been on the East Coast this spring.
- The Tigers over the Indians: The Indians did well to take yesterday’s game, a big improvement over last season when they could not beat the Tigers. But Justin Verlander at home should beat Danny Salazar who has had command issues thus far.
- The Twins over the Blue Jays: Kyle Gibson has not been as good as his record, but he’s been a good luck charm for his team thus far. R.A. Dickey has not been effective except for that Yankees start.
- The Rangers over the Mariners: The Rangers got a big win yesterday after eight innings of doing nothing against Felix Hernandez. Today should be high scoring with Tanner Scheppers facing Erasmo Ramirez.
- The Giants over the Dodgers: This is a great pitching match-up on paper with Madison Bumgarner against Hyun-jin Ryu. These games always depend on with ace brings their ace-game. I am going with Bumgarner at home.
- The Padres over the Rockies: Franklin Morales has not been very good so far this year but might fare better in San Diego. Ian Kennedy needs to pitch better for this pick to come home.
- The Brewers over the Pirates: I like picking Yovani Gallardo better at home, but he has been consistently good wherever this season. Give Pittsburgh credit, they have done a good job of rebuilding Edinson Volquez.
- The Cardinals over the Nationals: Both teams are hot and some of the key Cardinal batters are coming alive. But I simply like Adam Wainwright more than Taylor Jordan in this one.
- The Blue Jays over the Twins: Dustin McGowan was great his last time out. But this is a scary pick. It is made less so by Mike Pelfrey pitching for the Twins.
- The White Sox over the Red Sox: Jon Lester versus Chris Sale is a great match-up on paper. Sale is dominant while Lester must be fine. The Red Sox benefit from finding out that Jammy Pants Pedroia is okay. Tough call this.
- The Astros over the Royals: Scott Feldman sure has been good thus far. That makes it hard to pick against him. James Shields is not doing much to add to his free agency paycheck.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Bay Rays over the Yankees: Tropicana is where the Yankees go to die. And who wouldn’t in that awful place. Besides, David Price will be better than CC Sabathia.
Yesterday: 9-5, Games of the Day: 7-6, Season: 131-88