Friday was a pretty good day for the picks. There were five that were incorrect. The Pirates had a great game that I did not expect. The Mets and Lucas Duda beating the Reds I did not expect. I thought the Dodgers and Ryu would do well. They were beaten badly by the Giants. But I did make a great pick in the Brewers beating the Red Sox. And my goodness, did you see Giancarlo Stanton‘s homer? Wow!
The Game of the Day, the A’s and the Mariners were rained out. So no tally there today. Here are Saturday’s picks (Eight day games!):
- The Indians over the Twins: Kyle Gibson had a great spring for the Twins, but the Indians are really strong right now. Carlos Carrasco is going to get his share of strikeouts. A lot depends what he does in between them, which can be hit or miss.
- The Yankees over the Blue Jays: Losing Mark Teixeira is not great news, but this game completely depends on if Michael Pineda is the real deal or not for the Yankees. R.A. Dickey has problems in the dome. So, that’s the pick.
- The Tigers over the Orioles: The Orioles rotation has really laid an egg so far this season. Every one of their starters has an ERA over seven. Ouch. The Tigers will hit Bud Norris too. I predicted a breakout season for Rick Porcello with the defense behind him, so I should stick with my words, eh?
- The Mets over the Reds: Dillon Gee is underrated, and he is good at home. I think he will hold the Reds down and the Mets will score against Johnny Cueto. That’s a tough call though, because Cueto is so good when he is on.
- The Royals over the White Sox: The choice of Bruce Chen or John Danks is not a great one. But if you are ever going to pick Chen, it is at home. How about Adam Eaton so far! The guy is raking.
- The Phillies over the Cubs: Jeff Samardzija was fantastic in his first start and could not get any support. The Cubs are not hitting…at all. Cliff Lee knows what that feels like. But he should get the win here.
- The Mariners over the Athletics: The A’s will stick with Dan Straily instead of skipping him due to the postponement. The Mariners, on the other hand, will skip their guy and go with Felix Hernandez. That makes a huge difference.
- The Giants over the Dodgers: Who would you choose, Madison Bumgarner or Paul Maholm? I rest my case.
- The Nationals over the Braves: The Nats never seem to play well against the Braves and Stephen Strasburg never seems to pitch well against them. So why am I picking them? Because this is ridicules. Julio Teheran goes for the Braves.
- The Pirates over the Cardinals: Joe Kelly won the fifth starter job from the Cards and he should have. But I don’t think he is as good as Francisco Liriano who can shut down the Cards.
- The Red Sox over the Brewers: Wily Peralta can be good at times, but I like Clay Buchholz better.
- The Marlins over the Padres: The Marlins came out of the gate smoking. Casey McGehee doesn’t even look like the same guy who left for Japan since no one wanted him in the MLB. And Jose Fernandez is pitching at home. I never pick against him there. Andrew Cashner will keep it close though.
- The Bay Rays over the Rangers: Nick Martinez gets the start for the Rangers. He has looked really good in relief. But will that translate as a starter? Either way, he is staring down David Price, who seems to have his groove on early.
- The Rockies over the Diamondbacks: Kirk Gibson is going to blow up into a million pieces soon from his inward anger if the team does not get going. I don’t think Brandon McCarthy will pitch well in Coors Field. Jorge De La Rosa might be a stretch too though. Carlos Gonzalez is red hot.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Angels over the Astros: The Angels showed up finally on Friday. Josh Hamilton is back and stoking. Albert Pujols is not yet doing what I thought he would do and will. Tyler Skaggs is a big piece of the Angels’ season. He has to pitch well. Dallas Keuchel would probably be better for the Astros if he changed his first name to, “Houston.”
Yesterday: 9-5, Games of the Day: 2-2, Season: 39-25