Sunday was nip and tuck all day until the end when a run of correct picks put the day in a positive place. Things were dicey after a while when the Yankees actually won a game in St. Pete and the Tigers totally wiped out Dillon Gee. Patrick Corbin then had an awful outing and John Danks out-pitched Matt Garza. I correctly picked the end of the Royals and Blue Jays losing streaks and correctly picked the Brewers over the Cardinals. So that was good. But, like I said, a nice run at the end put the day firmly in the positive.
There are ten games on the schedule today. The Reds and Cardinals start a big series and Derek Jeter again tries to come back from injury against the Blue Jays. Let’s hope he can stay on the field awhile this time. Monday’s picks:
- The Royals over the Rays: This might be a goofy pick. It all depends on how good Jeremy Guthrie pitches. The Royals then need to score against Jeremy Hellickson. Jeremy versus Jeremy. I wonder how many times that has happened?
- The Reds over the Cardinals: I like Mike Leake here better than Tyler Lyons. They both have to face terrific lineups and it all depends which holds up better. A very big series for both teams.
- The Yankees over the Blue Jays: There are two divergent things going on in this game. First, the Yankees are 11-1 against the Blue Jays this season. It is kind of difficult to pick against that. But secondly, Phil Hughes is pitching for the Yankees. So mojo versus anti-mojo. And of course, who knows how good R.A. Dickey will be.
- The Tigers over the Athletics: The Tigers certainly have the better offense and Anibal Sanchez is a much better pitcher than A.J. Griffin. Plus, the Tigers are at home. This one seems too obvious, which is always dangerous.
- The Mets over the Phillies: These two teams are in a virtual dead heat for third place in the NL East. The Phillies are playing better and have won six of their last ten. And, they have Cliff Lee going. But I am banking on Zack Wheeler having a great day and shutting down the Phillies at home. If Wheeler does not have a good day, then it will be a Ruf game for the Mets. Ha! I kill me.
- The White Sox over the Astros: The White Sox have won eight of their last ten games. That is a hot team. Andre Rienzo is pitching well. But then again, so is Brett Oberholtzer for the Astros. I have to go with the White Sox here.
- The Giants over the Rockies: Barry Zito is among the worst starters in baseball this season. But he, surprisingly, has been quite decent over his career in Coors Field. You would think that would be a really ugly combination. It has not been. I am going with the Giants over Juan Nicasio.
- The Diamondbacks over the Padres: The D-backs have been among my least favorite teams when picking games this season. They just never seem to do what I expect them to do. Today, I do not expect Brandon McCarthy to pitch well and he will. Tyson Ross goes for the Padres, which helps the pick.
- The Rangers over the Mariners: Ugh. I hate this pick. I do not have much faith in Travis Blackley and then again, Joe Saunders comes out with a good game once in a while just when you think he is dead. I am going with the better team.
And the Game of the Day:
- The Dodgers over the Cubs: Zack Greinke at home is a pick I would hardly ever go against. Jake Arrieta cannot seem to pull it together to match the talent everyone thought he had. The Dodgers are not as good as their big streak. But they should have no trouble winning with these pitchers in the rotation.
Games of the Day: 83-58 +1