Sunday was good to me as the picks went eleven for fifteen. The four incorrect picks were the Pirates who took Jeff Locke out early and then the bullpen lost the game, the White Sox as Jose Quintana gave up a five-spot in the fifth with two homers, the Diamondbacks who were out-slugged by the Mets of all teams and the Tigers who came back with homers off of David Robertson and Mariano Rivera but still lost on a homer allowed of their own by Brett Gardner.
But it was a good day and a nice way to start off the week. There are eleven games on the Monday schedule. Here are the picks:
- The Athletics over the Blue Jays: This is one of those rare series that wraps around the weekend and they play a day game at 12:37. Weird. The A’s should hit J.A. Happ and company but Dan Straily has to have a good game and that is harder for him to do on the road.
- The Rangers over the Astros: Another day game from a wraparound series. Yu Darvish is tough to pick against, especially against a team like the Astros. My only concern about the pick is that Brett Oberholtzer is pitching very well for the Astros.
- The Yankees over the Angels: If Hiroki Kuroda can avoid homers to Trout and Hamilton, he should win as he has been the Yankees’ best starter. Garrett Richards is pretty good for the Angels too though.
- The Braves over the Phillies: I bet that at one time during this season, the Phillies had circled this series like it would matter. It does not as the Phillies are out of it. Cole Hamels will again be snake bit and Julio Teheran will have no trouble with the Phillies’ lineup.
- The Reds over the Cubs: Does Travis Wood always get the other team’s ace? It sure seems like it. The poor guy will not be able to match zeroes with Mat Latos and if he does, the Reds’ bullpen is better than the Cubs’.
- The Indians over the Twins: This is a tough one. Danny Salazar and Andrew Albers have both started their big league careers with some eye-opening performances. One of them has to win. Salazar has the better pure stuff.
- The Tigers over the White Sox: Doug Fister cancels out Chris Sale and the Tigers have the better lineup and everything else. Sale is tough, but so are the Tigers.
- The Marlins over the Royals: I make fun of Wade Davis all the time. I say that he is the fraternal brother to Phil Hughes. He made a bit of a fool out of me with a big performance last time out, but like Hughes, Davis always returns to (bad) form. Going with Tom Koehler and the Marlins.
- The Rockies over the Padres: This could be ugly for Edinson Volquez as the ballpark in Colorado will not play like the one in San Diego. Plus, Jhoulys Chacin is having a decent season and knows how to pitch at Coors.
- The Diamondbacks over the Orioles: Wade Miley is on a roll and that is the sole reason for this pick. I simply think he will be better than Scott Feldman. I am not worried about a lefty against the Orioles because their lineup is balanced. But Miley has been too good lately.
And the Game of the Day:
- The Dodgers over the Mets: The Dodgers are the best team in baseball right now the way they are playing. Ricky Nolasco has been a solid addition. Jenrry Mejia might baffle the Dodgers for a while, but they will come out on top.
Games of the Day: 76-51