July has been such a good month. It is a shame that the month is not finishing well. Two straight negative days were the only blight on what was a great weekend around here. That being the case, the world is still a good place. Picking baseball games may be an obsession for me, but it is still just for fun.
My son is correct. The only time the Yankees win is when I pick against them. Heh. Derek Jeter, Alfonso Soriano and Ichiro Suzuki turned back the clock for a day to win the boys from the Bronx a game despite Phil Hughes. Elsewhere, the Diamondbacks wasted another brilliant performance by Patrick Corbin and lost. That was the Game of the Day, so it was a double-ouchie.
Today is a short schedule Monday. Here are the picks:
- The Bay Rays over the Red Sox: David Price is 5-1 in his career at Fenway Park with a 1.96 ERA. Those numbers (SSS) are hard to pick against. Felix Doubront pitches well against weaker competition but struggles a bit against good teams.
- The Rangers over the Angels: Jered Weaver has been eye-poppingly good since returning from the disabled list. But he should be matched by Matt Garza, who has been just as brilliant. If the two starters cancel each other out and it becomes a bullpen game, the Rangers win.
- The Indians over the White Sox: John Danks has not fared well the last two seasons and perhaps needs a change of scenery. I have a feeling quite a few Pale Hose players need a change of scenery. Not thrilled to be picking Zach McAllister here, but the Indians are clearly the better team.
- The Pirates over the Cardinals: Jake Westbrook is not a great pitcher. But he does give his team a chance to win with most of his outings. But tonight, he will need to be perfect because Francisco Liriano has been on a roll. The guy, when on, is an amazing talent.
- The Braves over the Rockies: The Braves are flying high after sweeping the Cardinals over the weekend and today they get Brandon Beachy back. If he is anywhere close to being as good as when he was injured, the Braves just got better. Jorge De La Rosa is a good pitcher too though.
- The Marlins over the Mets: Giancarlo Stanton and Logan Morrison have both been hot in the lineup and Jacob Turner has lost his last two starts, but pitched well. Jeremy Hefner had a hot streak going for about a month or more, but has since fallen on hard times again.
- The Cubs over the Brewers: Jeff Samardzija is very talented. I would love to see him be a bit more consistent. The pick depends on him having a good day. Kyle Lohse might still be with the Brewers to pitch his turn. If so, this pick could be in trouble as Lohse has won six straight.
- The Blue Jays over the Athletics: This game is a hunch. Esmil Rogers has not won a game since June 24. But he should benefit from pitching in that ghastly ballpark. A.J. Griffin is usually pretty strong at home. But I am feeling the Blue Jays here.
And the Game of the Day:
- The Reds over the Padres: The Reds had a tough series against the Dodgers. But the Dodgers are on fire. So that is not a surprise. They should have no trouble against the Padres. Sean O’Sullivan has a 1.88 WHIP. Enough said there. And all Mike Leake does is win games.
Season: 878-692 I did some auditing and fixed this statistic
Games of the Day: 68-45 -1