I am down in Portland, Maine for the weekend to meet up with @_LeftField and @Replevel for a Portland Sea Dogs game tonight. It should be a lot of fun. With all that said, the picks will be short and sweet today so I can get on with the day.
Yesterday was okay with a 9-6 record. That is better than the other way around, I suppose, but there were some stupid picks. Picking against the Red Sox, Cardinals and Dodgers was dumb. And probably the dumbest was picking the Cubs to win. Oh well.
- The Orioles over the Yankees: The Yankees have been hot since getting swept in Baltimore last weekend and even won the first game of this series. But Andy Pettitte‘s stuff seems too easy to hit and Chris Tillman has really come on as a pitcher.
- The Blue Jays over the Twins: R.A. Dickey has been terrific of late and the Blue Jays are playing much better baseball. That does not bode well for the Twins and Mike Pelfrey. The Twins have lost a bunch of games in a row.
- The Royals over the Athletics: The Royals have lost a lot of games in a row too. But Eric Hosmer is hot and Ervin Santana could throw a good game against the A’s here. Jarrod Parker is too uneven for me to pick on a regular basis, especially on the road.
- The Cardinals over the Marlins: This game could have a lot of runs involved. Nathan Eovaldi has not been pitching that badly. But the Cardinals are–pardon the pun–another kettle of fish. That said, the Cards are starting Joe Kelly. Hmm… Cardinals by a crooked number or two.
- The Tigers over the Indians: The Indians need a pitcher. Carlos Carrasco is like the right-handed version of Jose Quintana. I am not sure if Anibal Sanchez is healthy, but he has to be better than Carrasco.
- The Pirates over the Cubs: I picked against the Pirates yesterday and paid for it. I would pick against them again today with Charlie Morton pitching. But Morton is more than matched by the lovely tosses of Edwin Jackson. Another high scoring game?
- The Nationals over the Padres: The Padres got hot and reached .500 and everyone was cooing like they were a good team or something. Well, no. They are not. Jason Marquis is “gritty” and will battle you as much as a guy with little talent will. But Jordan Zimmermann will battle you too. And he, my friends, has talent.
- The Reds over the Mariners: What have the Mariners been eating lately. This must be their hot streak of the year. Jeremy Bonderman has started to melt after a surprising couple of starts. And I cannot pick against Mat Latos at home against a lineup like the Mariners.
- The Braves over the Phillies: I thought Tim Hudson was pitching yesterday, but Paul Maholm did instead. That is probably good for Hudson as I like him over Kyle Kendrick a whole lot better than against Lee.
- The Bay Rays over the White Sox: The Rays have their swagger back and I guess Longoria is playing. So that means that Matt Moore should win again. It sure was nice of the Yankees to get him all fixed up. Poor Chris Sale will pitch well again for nothing.
- The Rangers over the Astros: Yu Darvish should win every game. Am I right? But he does not. And sometimes, it seems like he is coasting. He should beat the Astros 99 times if he pitched against them 100 times. Dallas Keuchel will get the loss.
- The Giants over the Dodgers: The Dodgers are super hot and I picked against them yesterday and lost. But we are talking about Madison Bumgarner here. Not some slouch pitcher. Stephen Fife has pitched admirably. But he is no Bumgarner. Then again…the Dodgers are hot…
- The Brewers over the Mets: Yovani Gallardo‘s name is all over the place in trade rumors. That has to be hard on a guy. But he is always tough at home and should get a win here. After all, his old friend Shaun Marcum is 1-9.
- The Red Sox over the Angels: I may not pick against the Red Sox for the rest of the year. They seem to have everything going on including their old intolerable arrogance. Whatever if it wins, right? Jerome Williams really got knocked around his last start. Ryan Dempster is pitching well.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Diamondbacks over the Rockies: Wade Miley pitched really well his last time out and the Rockies are struggling since Tulowitzki went down. Besides, Drew Pomeranz simply does not have it thus far as a Major League pitcher.
Games of the Day: 57-37