Another day, another round of disappointing picks. Oh yes, and another two extra inning games that did not go the way of the teams that were picked. Give Jeremy Hefner credit. He pitched a good game out in Coors Field. I just did not expect that. Stephen Strasburg and Patrick Corbin provided just as good a shootout as predicted. Doug Fister and Jered Weaver was another great pitching duel. Both of those games were decided by bullpens. Neither were correct as picks. Is it me or was Phil Coke particularly born to lose extra inning games?
At least I correctly predicted the Yankees to lose as my Game of the Day. How far have the Yankees fallen when they are on the wrong side of a Game of the Day pick? The Yankees could have batted against Derek Holland for a hundred innings and would not have scored.
Here are Friday’s picks:
- The White Sox and Indians split a double-header: I am cheating a bit because I need a break here. I do not like either Indians’ starter in this double dip and should pick a White Sox sweep. But the White Sox are bad. Trevor Bauer and Carlos Carrasco are the Indians’ two starters. Yuck. Jose Quintana and Hector Santiago go for the White Sox.
- The Orioles over the Yankees: The Orioles are no dummies. They see how pathetic the Yankees are against left-handed pitching and start T.J. McFarland. I really like David Phelps and how solidly he was coached over the years. But his stuff is just not good enough against a powerful lineup like the Orioles.
- The Tigers over the Rays: The Tigers just had a bad series against the Angels and need a win. Thankfully, they have Max Scherzer on the mound. The only concern is that winning streaks are meant to end. Alex Colombe pitched well against the Yankees. But so does everyone.
- The Marlins over the Padres: Probably a stupid pick. But I know that Ricky Nolasco would like to get out of Miami and a big outing would help his cause. Edinson Volquez has been much better this year than last though.
- The Blue Jays over the Red Sox: I have not liked anything I have seen from Allen Webster as a starter for the Red Sox. Josh Johnson, on the other hand, is pitching much, much better.
- The Mets over the Nationals: Matt Harvey is so good. The only question is if the Mets can score some runs against Ross Detwiler. Because if the Nats can match zeroes and the game goes to the bullpens, this pick is in big trouble.
- The Braves over the Diamondbacks: Interesting game here. Julio Teheran has settled nicely into the Braves’ rotation and faces the guy whose place he took in Randall Delgado. The Braves kept the right guy.
- The Reds over the Rangers: Martin Perez has already beaten the Reds’ rivals in the Cardinals. But Perez is a BABIP pitcher who does not strike out many. Sooner or later, those balls in play find holes. Johnny Cueto should be better.
- The Angels over the Astros: Mike Trout is on an unbelievable tear right now. Jerome Williams has pitched well all season and Bud Norris is a guy the Angels can get to.
- The Royals over the Twins: Perhaps my belief in James Shields has been over-inflated. Perhaps he is not the bomb I think he is. He has not been dominant like some of his days in a Rays uniform. But I like him here and like him better than P.J. Walter.
- The Rockies over the Giants: Both teams have really struggled lately so this will be an interesting game. Barry Zito will either be decent or he will get bombed as there is no in between with him. Jhoulys Chacin seems to have a better chance to win.
- The Cardinals over the Athletics: What Bartolo Colon is doing this season defies logic, and yet, there he is at 10-2. Shelby Miller has had trouble avoiding a crooked number inning. If he can do that, he has the stuff to shut down the A’s completely.
- The Mariners over the Cubs: Hisashi Iwakuma has struggled a bit in his last few outings and has not been quite as dominant. I like Travis Wood the same way I like David Phelps. Well-coached and disciplined. But Iwakuma is better when both are at their best.
- The Dodgers over the Phillies: Chris Capuano is a hard guy to pick as a pitcher. But the Dodgers have more excitement with Yasiel Puig out there and the crowds are going crazy for him. I really don’t think John Lannon will pitch well.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Pirates over the Brewers: I am not sure the Brewers could not have found somebody better in their minor league system than Johnny Hellweg to start this game in place of Marco Estrada. Hellweg has always walked a lot of batters and as he has risen in levels in the minors, the more his strikeouts go down. Gerrit Cole, on the other hand, is the bomb.
Games of the Day: 49-37