I went 4-0 in double headers yesterday including predicting the Mets would sweep the Braves. But then I went 6-6 on everything else. Sheesh. I had three aces going in Justin Verlander, Yu Darvish and Adam Wainwright. They all lost. And Verlander was for the Game of the Day. I should start calling that feature the poop pick of the day. The Game of the Day is not the most exciting game. It is the game each day that I think is the easiest pick. It is a game that should be a slam dunk of a pick. The feature is 23-24 since May 1, when it stood at 22-8. I love my job here.
At least the 10-6 total record yesterday finally pushed the month of June back over the .500 mark.
- The Yankees over the Dodgers: The rained out game yesterday actually gives the Yankees a better chance to win both games against the Dodgers. I would have easily picked Hyun-jin Ryu over Phil Hughes. But matching up against Hiroki Kuroda is an entirely different thing. Kuroda is good at home and is good during the daytime when this game will be played. It changes everything.
- The Orioles over the Tigers: These two teams seem really evenly matched to me. The Orioles’ power is impressive. Chris Tillman has been winning consistently. Rick Porcello has been good too. This is a toss up and I hope I end up on the right end.
- The Marlins over the Diamondbacks: This pick is a bit of a stretch. Trevor Cahill has shown some signs of pitching better but is still 3-8. I am a bit concerned of how Jose Fernandez will fare in Arizona and that hot air. But Fernandez has made three straight terrific starts. So the pick slides that way.
- The Giants over the Padres: Madison Bumgarner has not been a lock so far this season. But I like him at home today against the Padres. The Giants ended the Padres’ streak yesterday. Eric Stults has frustrated me all season though.
- The Indians over the Royals: What a tough loss for the Royals yesterday. They had that game under control the whole way until the end. It will not get any easier today as Justin Masterson is having a good season. I like Masterson over Luis Mendoza.
- The Yankees over the Dodgers: This is what I mean. I did not like Phil Hughes against Ryu. But I do like him against Chris Capuano. The games have to be played as there is no way for the Dodgers to get back to New York after this. Dumb scheduling.
- The Nationals over the Phillies: How do you look at these two teams? Are the Phillies now just as good as the Nationals? Or are the Nationals now as bad as the Phillies? Tough call. So is this game. Gio Gonzalez is not the same pitcher as a year ago and has been inconsistent. Kyle Kendrick, after a good start to the season, has regressed back to his FIP and has been roughed up lately.
- The Blue Jays over the Rockies: Here we go again with a winning streak where you have to wonder how long it will last. The Blue Jays have been rocking despite Jose Bautista struggling with a .591 OPS in June. I think the streak will continue for another night with Mark Buehrle against Juan Nicasio.
- The Pirates over the Reds: I am very torn on this one. I like Jeff Locke a lot. But the Pirates’ offense is inconsistent and can go to sleep on you. Bronson Arroyo is tough, but he is also vulnerable to the long ball. Tough game. to pick.
- The Red Sox over the Rays: The Red Sox kicked some serious Ray booty yesterday. Jeremy Hellickson is one of those pitchers I rag on all the time. But he is capable of a good game. Ryan Dempster has been a disappointment that I still believe in. I like the Red Sox at home.
- The Rangers over the Athletics: The Rangers are at home and Tommy Milone is not unbeatable. Justin Grimm has not pitched well lately either. I am never quite convinced the A’s are a good team. But they just win and win, so what do I know?
- The Twins over the White Sox: Picking
ChickKevin Correia to win a game is dicey and probably stupid. Picking against Chris Sale is probably not a good idea either. But the White Sox are a bad team and I am not convinced Sale is healthy right now.
- The Brewers over the Astros: Gosh, the Astros are really holding their own lately. Unfortunately, Kyle Lohse is a good and smart pitcher who is much better than his record. And Erik Bedard has run out of magic bullets.
- The Cardinals over the Cubs: I still think the Cardinals are better with Michael Wacha than Jake Westbrook. But Westbrook makes the most of what little stuff he has. Edwin Jackson actually pitched well in his last start. That confuses this pick just a little bit.
- The Angels over the Mariners: The Angels have a hot Albert Pujols and Mark Trumbo and the consistently great Trout. Their offense is coming around (other than Hamilton). Joe Saunders should yield a few runs and C.J. Wilson should be okay against the Mariners’ spotty offense.
And the Game of the Day
- The Braves over the Mets: After Harvey and Wheeler, the Braves will welcome Shuan Marcum with open arms and big bats. Kris Medlen is still struggling to hold on to his starting role.
Games of the Day: 45-32